Ruffled Leggings Tutorial... Attempt

A lot of firsts going on for me in this post, my first time making knit leggings, my first time using a double needle, and my first tutorial. Bear with me.

These are a size 7 and I purchased a yard of knit fabric, that way I have enough for ruffles, and I'm hoping to have enough for matching shorties. I used a serger on my seams and edges, but knit does not fray, so it's not completely necessary. If you want your edges neater, just zig-zag stitch them. This tutorial is not size specific, just find a pair of leggings that fit your daughter well, to use as your template. I'm using some Mustard Pie leggings. Unless you find them on super sale, I found them for 60% off, it's not worth spending $40 for them. A yard of knit is around $6 with coupon. Fold your leggings in half and place on the fold of  your knit fabric. Make sure the pattern on the fabric is going the direction you would like. Leave around 2 inches at the top, for your waistband.
                                             

Cut around your leggings, leaving a seam allowance. I left a inch, because sometimes my serger gets away from me, but 5/8 inch is the standard. Make 2 legs, then open one up and measure across the bottom, where your ruffle will be. Mine was 12 inches so I doubled that and made my ruffle strips 24 inches long and 3 inches wide. I wouldn't recommend anything less than double for your length, but if you want more ruffle, you can certainly make them longer. If you want a cleaner look, serge each length of your ruffles. I had a decorative edge on mine, that I didn't want to hide, so I skipped this step.
So the appropriate way to make ruffles, is to baste stitch near the top leaving your thread ends long, then gather into perfect proportions, but I like to speed things up.  I pinned the ends and center, of my bottom ruffle, to the pant. The center is pinned for reference, so you aren't under ruffling at the beginning then over ruffling to make up for it, and vise versa.
Next, I sewed it on, ruffling as I go, and helping it under the presser foot, watch your fingers. If you don't have stripes to line you up, you may want to mark where you want your ruffle, with a water soluble pen or chalk. Sew your top ruffle on the same way, letting it overlap your bottom one, about a inch. Repeat with your other leg.
Fold over your pant leg and line up the raw edges. Pin it, making sure to get the edges of the ruffles also. Serge the edge of leg, stopping at the crotch, so from bottom up to where my seam ripper is. Repeat with other leg.
The next part is confusing and hard to show, because my right side and wrong side of fabric look similar in pictures. Turn one pant leg right side out and stick it inside, the inside out leg, lining up the V of the crotch, and pinning the seams together. The right sides of your fabric should be touching. Serge the seams together, then add a reinforcement stitch, just to be safe. Wouldn't you feel horrible if the butt let out at school?
Turn everything right side out, and give yourself a pat on the back, if they resemble pants.
Ok, one last step, turn them back inside out and fold the waist over. I folded it over 1 1/4 inches for 1 inch elastic, but you can fold it over up to 2 inches, if that's what you left yourself, when you cut it. Next is where I used my double needle, they say its good for stretch. You could use a zig zag stitch also, but leave yourself a 2 inch opening, to insert elastic through. Measure how long your elastic needs to be, by wrapping it around her waist. Use a safety pin to get your elastic through your opening and around the waist, making sure the other end doesn't get pulled through, and there is no twists. Overlap the ends of your elastic a inch and sew them together, reinforce it by making a x or just going back and forth a few times.


I had her try them on before I sewed my opening closed, and had to adjust my elastic twice, so they fit snug on the waist. Whenever you feel they are a good fit, sew your opening closed and turn the pants back right side out. YOU'RE DONE. I added fabric and a embroidery design to a shirt a few months ago, and the pants made for a cute outfit.



Comments

Popular Posts